Gas Explosion Kills Three In Ogun

Three persons, including an infant, died in a gas explosion in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, on Wednesday.

It was learnt the victims were burnt to death at Oke-Egunya along NTA road, Abeokuta when a technician was trying to service a faulty refrigerator.

They were said to have been trapped and unable to escape after the gas cylinder caught nearby cooking fire and exploded on them.

“In the process of topping up gas into the refrigerator, there was an attraction of fire from someone cooking and there came an explosion,” a source said.

Ogun Director of Fire Service, Engr Fatai Adefala, who confirmed the incident to newsmen, said his men responded to emergency and put out the fire at the scene.

“We received a distress call at 3:15pm at Oke-Igbore. We learnt it was a spark of fire. On getting there, we discovered it was a gas explosion.

“What really happened was that they were cooking outside with fire and unfortunately the gas exploded. They were trying to top the gas in the fridge, in the process, it exploded.

“Three lives were lost, one infant was among them. For now, the bodies are still lying there. You know it was those who are living in that house that were affected. It was an ancient building.

“Our men are still at the incident including other agencies, the Police, DSS and others,” Adefala explained.

 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*